New Year, new projects. The next module in my RSN Diploma will be appliqué. Mmmm….can’t say that it is something that I have been eager to get my teeth into! Still after some serious browsing sessions (what did we all do before the internet!) I have come up with something based around an 11th century tapestry that will hopefully allow me to meet all the requirements in the brief.
I have started to frame up the calico backing and will then be ready to begin when I get back to Durham in a couple of weeks.
In the meantime, and as well as, I thought I would revisit some of the things I have learnt over the past few years and develop my own designs. This will definitely be an interesting experience for me as I have to interpret all those ideas I keep going on about into physical designs. Oh, to be artistic........
So far I have done a small sketch based on a traditional Jacobean leaf that I will then stitch in crewel wool.
|Crewel Leaf design|
I have some linen fabric – not the traditional twill-so will see how that works up and I shall use wools from Renaissance Dyes. I haven’t used these before so I reckon I can make all this part of the learning process of seeing what works and what doesn’t! Maybe one day I'll even get adventurous.
|Crewel wools and linen fabrics|
I have already worked out some stitching ideas that I want to incorporate into the design so all I have to do now is pounce it onto the fabric and off we go. I'm sure there'll be plenty of reverse stitching, so watch this space!