Thursday, 29 May 2014

Finishing off

Those eagle eyed amongst you will notice a slight difference to the front of the bag. Yes, I couldn't resist fiddling, I took off the silver passing petals and replaced them with ones in Gilt Sylke Twist. I know it's not shaded but I just feel happier with it that way. The twist from America hasn't arrived so I have to go with what I can get. Now I can prepare to make up.

Finished front
First I decided to applique the silk brocade onto the canvas. That provides some support both when I make the seams and in the long term. I also slipped a piece of fine linen over the metal threads behind my embroidery to protect the silk lining from rubbing against them. Once stitched I applied diluted pva round the edges to stop the canvas fraying when I cut it.

Green silk brocade back
Then it was off the frame and cut out. The edges were folded in, the bag folded in half and I slip stitched the two side edges with strong thread. I worked on a clean, folded towel to protect the flowers.

Now for the lining. I had already sewn up a rectangle of bright pink silk for the lining. This was a popular colour to use and matched the pink in the chevrons and the rose in tent stitch, (the Gilt Sylke Twist is a slightly lighter shade). I had to use dupion not grosgrain as would have been used originally. This is also slip stitched in place.

Sewing the lining in
Then the metallic bobbin lace  made by Dianne from Gawthorpe was slip stitched in.

Attached lace
I do not know which bobbin lace pattern it is unfortunately but below is a close up for you

Close up of lace
Finally, I attached the handle which is made from a 5 element braid of twisted lengths of the pink silk and gilt passing

Finished bag front
There are no tassels or drawstring on this bag and no evidence of there having been and no narrow wares covering the seams. So that's it.

Finished bag rear

Last night I photographed the bag in candlelight.................... lose some of it but I think you get the idea of how it would twinkle and glitter and how the Gilt Sylke Twist catches the light. Today. the bag goes to its new home at Gawthorpe Hall where it will be used as part of the learning programme. I'm happy but also sad to see it go.

Friday, 23 May 2014

Closing moves

I haven't got the gilt Sylke twist I ordered in time, but a friend has sent me some blue, a pink and a green, so I decided to go ahead with what I had. And yes it makes a difference. The photos don't really show the gilt wire around the silk core but having that there makes the petals a lot more self supporting. I didn't need to use the passing thread for a supporting cord, I used the GST.

And yes it is an interesting thread to use! I read Tricia's advice on the Thistle Threads site, did a sample or two and just ploughed ahead! It is REALLY springy, but I found that if you keep it under a light tension that helps to prevent it snagging and breaking too much. I will definitely come back to it and explore it some more.

The cornflowers were a pig to do, up and down, up and down, now it is just to assemble. The cord handle is made and a lovely volunteer at Gawthorpe Textiles - Dianne Derbyshire - has made some lace for around the opening. There is no drawstring and no sign of any tassels so none of them to make. Here's hoping no more hiccups.

Saturday, 17 May 2014

Another little hiccup

I finished the golden roses, in straight gilt passing and added some gilt purls for the stamens in the centre.

Then I started on the pink rose. The outer petals are silver passing and the 
inner are detached corded Brussels, silk thread over a metal cord. Then I posted on social media and asked for opinions and I had the lightbulb moment. Doh, there is a metal wrapped silk thread - Gilt Sylke twist made for a American embroidery project and now commercially available. I've sent for some to see what it works up like for this. I would like to keep the colours in the flowers as it really makes them come to life.

So, today I'm going to make the braid for the handle and the silk lining. And hope that the threads arrive in time!

Wednesday, 14 May 2014

Background finished!

So the background is finished

.....and I have started the 3D petals in corded detached buttonhole. These are the outer ones in gilt passing thread and there will be a set of inner petals in silk to put the colour into the flowers.

Wednesday, 7 May 2014

Stitching the background

I completed the background of the motifs and the side panels of chevrons.

Now all there is to do is stitch in the background in No 3 silver passing thread. Doesn't seem too big a job from the photo, but there are 32 threads per inch! So it's slow and steady does it. I've already learnt that reverse stitching doesn't make this fabric happy :0.

Monday, 5 May 2014

And then there were problems!

I knew there would be problems and sure enough......! I had to do a row of chevrons on either side of the design. On the photo below it looks as though there is a side panel but on iinspecting the bag it is all flat on the front.

I had drawn the chevrons as part of the design but as you can see they didn't quite match up. So I 
zoomed in on the photo and worked out the number of stitches. Fine. The problem came when I tried to set it in the fabric. Perhaps it would have been quicker if there had been no design lines there. Still, it's sorted now....

....and so is the cornflower I think after I adapted the shape and reversed the colour combination. Little things make such a difference.

I've part of the last rose to do tomorrow and then I start with the passing.

Fingers, toes and everything crossed!