Wednesday 24 June 2015

Sampling

I started working a beadwork sampler at the end of last year, after I finished my Magna Carta panel.

I used Shelley Cox's RSN Bead Embroidery book to work these samples with canvas work stitches. The beads are fairly random - what I had or got hold of locally. It is quite difficult locally to get hold of a nice variety of very small seed beads, the internet has loads but can be a bit bewildering until you know what you want.

The top three are the first ones I did and the bottom three the last and I think you can definitely see an improvement as I went along! The threads were just left overs that I pulled out and tried to blend. Again, some I'm quite pleased with. I had no idea about mixing bugle and seed beads before I started but it's nice to let patterns make themselves.

I have a huge problem with sampling. I can't seem to let myself go and try things at random. This gave me a pathway that I meandered down at leisure over a few months. Will have to see if that works with other techniques!!

Complete finished sampler

Rice stitch and Smyrna

Hungarian Ground variation
The Rhodes stitch is the only one in a solid colour - I had an idea of doing a Chanel inspired sample. The four corners even have pearl seed beads as an extra layer!

Rhodes stitch

Wild goose chase

Cushion stitch  


4 comments:

  1. These are lovely. I'd love to see some of these ideas extended and adapted further.

    I think sampling and experimenting become easier if you give yourself a framework. Restrictions of various types add impetus to invention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. VERY creative! I love the mix of stitches, threads and sizes/shapes of beads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These samples are lovely, I particularly like the white combination. I am looking around for canvas work inspiration as that will be my next module at the RSN. I have really enjoyed reading some of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Deborah. Good luck with your next module.

    ReplyDelete