Monday 10 March 2014

Preparing for goldwork

Before you can really start with a piece of goldwork you have to prepare for the areas that will need to be padded prior to embroidering them. There is just about every type of padding in this piece..........
Soft string overlaid with felt and layers of felt for wing

Both feet felted

Carpet felting for the head
The carpet felt is then overlaid with felt. I have used grey and yellow felt as bases for different coloured threads and leathers.

However, I can do little bits of embroidery to relieve the tedium of padding. So you can see the breast has fly stitch feathers in DMC Diamante.

Handmade cord
And I made my own cord with two shades of Diamante for the grass stalks. Next I'll stitch leather on the feet for the webbing and then embroider the bones in.

Oh, and I made my second set of tweed curtains :).

3 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to seeing this project develop! The preparation is very time consuming isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This look very interesting and yes I am very curios too to see this project evolving . I am doing courses with RSN in London and I am very happy when someone is so nice to share they own techniques and experiences in the embroidery area . Thanks very much for all the ideas in this one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine - The padding seems to go on forever :)
      Renata - Good luck with the embroidery course. I'm sure you will love it

      Pippa

      Delete