Thursday 2 August 2012

Nearly there!


Finished Crewel work Cushion



Detail







Well, the cushion is finished and made up and ready for the raffle! So I can cross another thing off my list. Sadly, the cupboard is still full of ‘bits and bobs’. I don’t want to sound ungrateful and I do get some fabulous threads and materials and books  passed onto me, but I also get things that I am sure have sat in somebody else’s cupboard for years! Invariably it comes with the phrase ‘can you do something with this?’ and I just cannot say no.

I found a cross work kit of a Beatrix Potter character that I was given. Now, I just don’t do cross work, it never floated my boat, so to speak. There was a tiny scrap of Aida and some pretty grotty colours with it as well as a ‘chart’. So I thought, well, what can I do with this to make it do-able? So I dug out my 18 count canvas and some of my old threads and a picture of the original character in the book and practised my canvas shading. Not sure what I will turn it into – probably a small picture in a mount if I can find some card.


Canvas work rabbit

Like I say, not something I would have chosen to do, but it is another thing out of the cupboard and can join the pile that is being given to ‘charitable causes’. I think now that will do for finishing off half done projects. I will rearrange the cupboard and dig out some beautiful new fabrics.Then I can start thinking about what I want to do for me………. Oh, and learn to say no thanks!

2 comments:

  1. The cushion is just beautiful Pippa. Unusual and lovely colours. I used to enjoy cross stitch but it no longer floats my boat either - not since I first joined the Whangarei Embroiderers' Guild and learned there are so many other things one can do with a needle and thread! If I was going to do it again, I would be quite content to execute Beatix Potter characters. I love them. When I visited the UK in 2004, one of the first places I visited was Hill Top just because of the pleasure Beatrix Potter's stories and drawings gave/give me. Keep up the momentum of finishing those UFOs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comments, Erica. Glad you are enjoying my meanderings through my cupboard! :)

      Delete